Are you a post-primary teacher looking for a challenge? Are you passionate about education and the importance of STEM for today’s young people? If so, we would like to hear from you.
SciFest has been supporting and promoting STEM education in second-level schools across Ireland for over 16 years. Our aim is to ensure that every second-level student irrespective of their ability, gender, background or circumstance has the opportunity to participate in a STEM fair. The SciFest programme consists of a series of STEM fairs for second-level students which take place locally in schools and regionally in third-level college, culminating in a national competition from which winning students go on to participate in international events.
With support from the Medtronic Foundation, we are now looking for a highly motivated teacher to take responsibility for implementing a project specifically designed to grow and support engagement in DEIS schools. This is an exciting and challenging opportunity for a fully qualified post-primary teacher to make a significant contribution to the promotion of STEM among disadvantaged communities.
The full-time position of SciFest School Liaison Officer is offered initially on a two-year contract basis, subject to the satisfactory completion of a three-month probationary period. Remuneration will be linked to the appropriate point on the post-primary teacher salary scales. The successful candidate will be based in Dublin with opportunities for a hybrid working arrangement.
Key Aspects of the Role
• Reporting to the CEO, responsible for the day-to-day implementation of the SciFest programme in DEIS schools
• Development of the SciFest programme with a specific focus on DEIS schools
• Development of resources for teachers and students in DEIS schools
• Recruiting DEIS schools to participate in the SciFest programme
• Supporting teachers in DEIS schools preparing students for participation in a SciFest fair
• Assisting in the running of SciFest@School fairs in DEIS schools
• Promotion of STEM in DEIS schools
• Liaising with DEIS schools and teachers
• Preparing reports, both internal and for external agencies
• Liaising with the Medtronic Foundation
Qualifications and Attributes
• Post-primary teacher qualifications, with a degree in a STEM discipline or STEM Education
• At least five years’ experience of teaching STEM subjects in a post-primary school; preference will be given to candidates who have experience of teaching in a DEIS school
• Excellent communication and presentation skills
• Strong report writing skills
• Excellent IT skills
• Strong team-working skills
• Motivated, flexible, with high levels of initiative and the ability to work without direct supervision
• Good knowledge of the Irish education system, particularly at the second level
• Good research skills
• Candidates must have a full, clean driving licence and access to their own car
• Candidates will be required to be Garda vetted.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter with your CV to email@example.com
Applications must arrive not later than 6.00 p.m. on Tuesday 31 May 2022.
For further details of the SciFest programme please visit the SciFest website here.